Out-of-adjustment air brakes are the #1 infraction found during D.O.T. inspections, and the #1 reason cited for out-of-service orders.
Brake Safe® is a visual indicator of brake stroke travel that enables you to quickly determine whether your brakes are in or out of adjustment.
Brake Safe will also diagnose:
- A non-activating brake chamber
- A chamber that has failed to release
- A weak or broken parking brake spring
- A defective or incorrectly set up slack adjuster
The Brake Safe premeasured Goalpost, matching the DOT brake readjustment point, is attached to a bracket that mounts permanently onto any power unit, truck, trailer or bus’s air brake chamber using the existing mounting stud and nut. A replacement clevis pin with a tooled point is inserted into the slack adjuster replacing the existing clevis pin. Yellow and red plastic covers provide enhanced visibility.
Apply a full service brake application at 90-100 psi and the clevis pin moves between or beyond the Goalpost. The position of the red clevis pin indicates brake adjustment:
Between the yellow Goalpost:
Brakes are IN ADJUSTMENT
Beyond the yellow Goalpost:
Brakes are OUT OF ADJUSTMENT
Saves Drivers Time.
- Reduces pre-trip inspection time.
- Eliminates need to crawl under truck or trailer.
- Protects against fines for out-of-adjustment brakes.
- Reduces unnecessary brake adjustment downtime.
- 20 mins
Mark and Measure
- 3 mins
With Brake Safe
Saves Mechanics Time.
- Reduces inspection time.
- Eliminates mechanics needlessly adjusting slack adjusters.
- Identifies slack adjusters that have not been correctly set up.
- Assists in identifying other problems such as weak or broken springs; and worn, seized or incorrectly installed slack adjusters.
- Installs in minutes with regular shop tools.
"The simplicity and durability of Brake Safe stroke indicators means they require next to no maintenance, even in the ready-mix concrete industry — and I can’t imagine a tougher environment.”
-A. Holbrook, St Mary's CBM
Saves Operators Money.
- Avoids heavy fines and demerit points imposed for out-of-adjustment brakes.
- Eliminates roadside detainment and downtime for the driver and the equipment.
- Reduces mechanics' shop time trouble shooting and repairing air brake problems and other faults in the foundation brake system.
- Assists balanced braking, reducing uneven brake and tire wear.
- Extends the operational life of slack adjusters by reducing the wear and tear associated with repeated unnecessary adjustments.
Promotes a culture of safety on the road.
- Promotes balanced braking in normal and emergency situations.
- Ensures maximum braking capacity in emergency situations.
- Demonstrates to regulatory and inspection agencies a proactive commitment to safety.
Compliments automatic slack adjusters.
Even if a vehicle is equipped with automatic slack adjusters, there is still a need for the driver or mechanic to inspect brake stroke travel on a daily basis. Automatic slack adjusters are good but require proper maintenance for reliable performance. Brake Safe will pinpoint whether your brakes are in or out of adjustment and can indicate whether your slack adjuster is working properly.
The majority of brake adjustment fines and out-of-service orders are issued to vehicles equipped with automatic slack adjusters. For example, during September 2015, Operation Air Brake resulted in 18,817 roadside inspections in North America. In total, 5468 out-of-service violations were identified of which 55% were brake related. Out-of-adjustment brakes accounted for 53% of all brake violations and 85% of these vehicles were equipped with automatic slack adjusters.
ONE-YEAR WORKMANSHIP WARRANTY
Brake Safe features high-quality steel fabrication for extended operational life. Clevis pins are case hardened and zinc plated for corrosion resistance, and colored pin covers are fade-resistant to ensure visibility.
Read full warranty >
THREE GOALPOST SIZES HANDLE ALL BRAKE CHAMBER TYPES
Download Brake Chamber Application Chart
USA OWNER OPERATORS
Please order online below
or call toll-free 1-888-381-2355
Online ordering available to USA-based Owner Operator customers only.
First, identify your need:
Universal Power Unit Kit
Equips all HD Commercial vehicles including tractors and all trucks including refuse, construction and dump, ready-mix, tank and fire trucks, HD tow trucks, school buses, motor coaches, etc.
Universal Trailer Kit 1
Equips most trailers including box & dry vans, beverage, bulk, intermodal chassis, aggregate, livestock, logging, etc.
Universal Trailer Kit 2
Equips trailers with WIDE BASED wheels, auto hauler and lowboy trailers.