Save Time and Money With Zafety Lug Lock®
The independent laboratory tested Zafety Lug Lock® helps prevent potential wheel loss by using the resistance between two nuts to minimize their ability to rotate and loosen, a safety product the transportation industry has needed for a long time:
- Pre-trip inspection requires secure wheel lug nut confirmation
- Rules apply to all public transit & commercial buses, trucks, trailers
- Provides a clear, visual check of lug nut position
Most wheel nut safety products allow the lug nut to loosen first and only then alert drivers to dangerous conditions. Zafety Lug Lock® uses a proprietary design that lessens the ability of two adjacent lug nuts to rotate and become loose. This reduces the risk of potential wheel loss and the possibility of expensive wheel damage.
Zafety Lug Lock® is fabricated from design engineered plastic that has been independently tested under varying temperature and vibration conditions with no evidence of lug nut loosening and with no external damage or physical degradation.
Zafety Lug Lock® is available in MULTIPLE SIZES for equipping the numerous applications found in heavy duty transportationas well as transit, motorcoach and smaller delivery van vehicles.
For a complete list of parts and applications click here.
ZLL8-100: 8 stud wheel, 2-1/2" center, 7/8" (22 mm) nut. Applications include walk in vans (step vans), delivery vans, EMS vehicles, mini school buses.
ZLL4-100: 8 stud, 2-1/2" center, 1.0" (25 mm) nut. Applications include walk in vans (step vans), delivery trucks.
ZLL0-100: 10 stud, 3-1/2" center, 1-5/16" (33 mm) nut. Applications include most trucks, tractors, trailers, motor coaches, Type C and D school buses.
ZLL6-100: 10 stud, 3-1/2" center, 1-1/2" (38 mm) nut. Applications include refuse trucks, motor coaches, transit vehicles.
ZLL1-100: 10 stud, 4-1/8" center, 1-5/16" (33 mm) nut. Main application is transit vehicles. Size can be used with large, heavier 8 stud delivery vans.
Zafety Lug Lock® comes in a High Temperature Formulation designed for severe stop and go braking with a temperature range up to 450⁰F (232⁰C).
Design Engineered Plastic Composition
The raw materials that are used in the manufacture of Zafety Lug Lock® have a long history of engineering applications involving extreme environments, both in temperature ranges, and in chemical exposures.
These materials are blended in a proprietary ratio to complete the Zafety Lug Lock® design engineered plastic composition. The resulting product is chemically inert and resistant to intermittent and continuous exposure to the range of chemicals typically found in automotive and transportation applications, including the following:
- Road salt
- Liquid calcium chloride
- Hydraulic fluid
- Transmission fluid
- Windshield washer alcohols
- Iron oxides
- Radiator fluid
- Diesel fuel
- Ethanol alcohol
Most importantly it has a high strength to weight ratio, and the design has been proven in independent vibration testing to retain lug nuts from rotation in operating temperatures ranging from -40⁰F (-40⁰C ) to +122⁰F (+50⁰C).
Zafety Lug Lock® is functional for severe stop and go braking with wheel end temperatures up to 450⁰F (232⁰C).
Wheel Lug Nut Security Means Positive Fleet Impact
- Reduced liability from risk of potential wheel loss
- Lower maintenance costs from possible wheel damage and lug nut replacement
- Simple visual check on wheel nut position
- Demonstrates proactive safety
- Zafety Lug Lock® secures 2 adjacent nuts against loosening.
- Maintains nut torque.
- Capability to check nut torque without removal on most heavy duty applications.
- Design engineered for superior weight to strength ratio.
- Flexible and easy to install and remove.
- Retains flexibility in both hot and cold temperature operation.
- High Temperature (450⁰F) formulation.
- Independently tested at high and low rotation levels.
- Reusable with same application.
- Multiple applications for 10 stud and 8 stud wheels.
- Available in custom colours.
- Reduced risk of wheel damage or wheel loss with retention of failed or sheared stud and nut.
- Nuts will not loosen if wheel surface is compromised by loose paint or rust or nut is under torqued.
- Save time and cost of removing and re-installing other products when torque check is required.
- Zafety Lug Lock® can be easily installed and removed without special tools or procedures. For convenience, a specifically designed tool can be used.
- The flexibility of Zafety Lug Lock® means fast installation and product durability in a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions.
- The High Temperature formulation provides the widest range of applications in normal day-to-day operation including severe stop and go braking experienced with transit buses. This formulation ensures lug nut security will not be compromised by overheating wheel ends.
- Independent testing ensures that the product claims are fully supported by arms-length third party experts and can be relied upon.
- Zafety Lug Lock® can be reinstalled wheel after removal for wheel end servicing or can be used in similar applications in the event the equipment is taken out of service.
- Zafety Lug Lock® parts are available to outfit power units, trucks, trailers, motor coaches, transit buses, delivery step vans, full size and mini-school buses, EMS vehicles and off-road equipment.
- Zafety Lug Lock® can be ordered to in colors consistent with corporate image
How it works
Wheel rims have been designed with an optimum number of studs and nut torquing to provide a balanced load that is not subject to flexing. Zafety Lug Lock® has been designed and engineered to ensure that the wheel nuts have resistance to loosening, maintaining these balanced loads on the rims. The purpose is solely to assist in ensuring the nuts on the studs continue to provide this balanced load on the wheel rim. Wheel nuts will loosen as a result of temperature change, wheel end vibration and rim surface condition.
Zafety Lug Lock® prevents wheel loss by using the resistance between two nuts to minimize their ability to rotate and loosen. The unique design pairs together two lug nuts and ensures that resistance is applied continuously to the lug nuts to secure them from loosening. The raw materials that are used in the manufacture of Zafety Lug Lock® have a long history of engineering applications involving extreme environments, both in temperature ranges, and in chemical exposures. The resulting product is chemically inert and resistant to intermittent and continuous exposure to the range of chemicals typically found in automotive and transportation applications. Most importantly Zafety Lug Lock® has a high strength to weight ratio, and the design has been proven in independent vibration testing to retain lug nuts from rotation in operating temperatures ranging from -40⁰F (-40⁰C ) to +122⁰F (+50⁰C).
Zafety Lug Lock® in high temperature formulation is functional with wheel end temperatures up to 450⁰F (232⁰C) and is suitable for severe stop and go braking.
It is important that not only should Zafety Lug Lock® be installed properly but also that Zafety Lug Lock® be installed on all wheel end lug nuts and not leave any pair of nuts unsecured. To not do so is not only unsafe, it promotes added stress on the secured nuts, stud bolts and wheel rim increasing the risk for potential serious lug nut, stud bolt or wheel problems.
Wheel rims have been designed with an optimum number of studs and nut torqueing to provide a balanced load that is not subject to flexing. Zafety Lug Lock® has been designed and engineered to ensure that the wheel nuts have resistance to loosening, maintaining these balanced loads on the rims. The purpose is solely to assist in assuring the nuts on the studs continue to provide this balanced load on the wheel rim. The purpose of preventing a loose nut is to prevent the occurrence of rim flexing. A single nut coming lose creates an unbalanced load on the rim, which may result in flexing of the steel. Continuing to drive a vehicle in this condition is creating stresses on the remaining lug nuts that they were not designed for. In addition we have not completed any testing of wheels with the Zafety Lug Lock® in situations where the wheel has effectively lost any of its nut retention. Thus we cannot claim the product will function in these situations. In fact without extensive long term testing there are concerns this may create a sense of security, which is not justified. Any loose nut will permit the wheel rim to flex adding stress to the other wheel end components. This stress can potentially result in the following incidents:
- Rim flexing and wheel wobble
- Additional unsecured nuts beginning to loosen
- Nut backpressure stripping the Zafety Lug Lock® gripping teeth.
- Wheel studs being cross-threaded.
- Broken or sheared stud bolts.
- Damage to rim mounting holes.
- Damage to wheel or loss of wheel
Therefore it is critical that a nut does not loosen. The practice of securing select nuts with Zafety Lug Lock® and not securing other nuts on the same wheel only increases the possibility of wheel rim flexing, the occurrence of events described above and defeats the sole purpose for which Zafety Lug Lock® is designed.
Improper installation and use of Zafety Lug Lock® will also invalidate the warranty provided by the manufacturer.
Zafety Lug Lock® (ZLL) must be removed before all nut loosening, nut removal or wheel removal activity. ZLL can be removed easily at indoor temperatures. Correctly removed Zafety Lug Lock® units can be reinstalled. In cooler or cold weather conditions, ZLL may be more difficult to remove and the procedures detailed below should be followed:
1. Use your fingers (gloves if needed) to pull up on the ends of the ZLL unit adjacent to the nuts, using an outward wiggling or flexing motion.
2. Do not pull the ZLL unit from the center area between the nuts.
Cold weather procedures:
1. Select a flat piece of metal with a 90-degree bend and no sharp edges to assist in removal. A SPECIFIC TOOL (Fig. 1) or small crowbar, pry-bar tool or lady-finger tool works well. In our product listing we sell such a tool.
2. Do not attempt to remove the ZLL unit by applying force at the middle section between the lug nuts.
3. Place the tool as close to the nut as possible and apply pressure to move the ZLL unit off the nut (Fig. 2). A gentle wiggling or flexing motion will successfully remove the ZLL unit.
4. Repeat step 3 for ALL remaining lug nuts.
5. Prior to reinstallation. Allow the ZLL units to warm to indoor temperature.
Click image to download.
For support on Zafety Lug Lock® installation or related questions, call our production department, toll free at 1-888-381-2355, extension 25 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
What people are saying about Zafety Lug Lock® and wheel lug nut security
"A critical component of ensuring a truck or trailer is roadworthy is the wheel end inspection. Loose wheel nuts are a serious safety issue and we have outfitted our entire fleet with Zafety Lug Lock® to reduce the incidence of loose wheel nuts and are very satisfied with the overall performance of this product. It is a reliable, inexpensive solution to reducing the possibility of loose lug nuts during those intervals between re-torquing the wheel nuts.”
Director, Customized Training, Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
"Loose wheel nuts are a constant headache for fleet operators and wheel damage from loose nuts is a common occurrence. Unlike some products that can indicate a loose nut, Zafety Lug Lock® helps prevent a nut from loosening. My clients like the fact that they are easy to install and easy to remove for wheel end maintenance. They also like the fact that they do not have to worry about possible loosening of wheel nuts between scheduled re-torquing maintenance. It’s a great product for fleet safety.”
Transportation Safety Specialist, RJ Consulting
Quality Tested By Independent Laboratories
View our Independent Test Reports on this product prepared by Bodycote Testing Group and Exova Canada:
I don’t get many loose nuts so I don’t think I need your product.
It only takes 1 loose nut to stress the entire wheel end and risk more nuts coming loose. Studies show that loose wheel nuts are responsible for 66% of wheel separations.
I already use a loose nut indicator. Why do I need Zafety Lug Lock®?
It’s good that you are concerned about loose lug nuts. The product you are using only warns you of the problem after it occurs and it may be missed for some time. Zafety Lug Lock® will eliminate the loose nut problem because even improperly torqued nuts are prevented from loosening. Also, if a stud and nut shears off the wheel, Zafety Lug Lock® will retain the sheared component while the loose nut indicator lets it fly down the road.
How do I know that Zafety Lug Lock® will really prevent the lug nuts from loosening?
We have numerous fleets that have confirmed the product really works. We had Zafety Lug Lock® tested by an internationally respected test laboratory and their reports confirm the effectiveness of Zafety Lug Lock® in preventing nuts from coming loose. Field testing at the Bosch road testing facility in Indiana also confirmed that Zafety Lug Lock really does keep lug nuts from loosening.
How much torque can a piece of plastic stand up to before the nuts start to loosen?
Nuts come loose due to vibration working the nut back along the stud. In fact there is no significant reverse torque that contributes to loosening. Zafety Lug Lock® is design engineered with a high strength to weight ratio, and the design has been proven in independent vibration testing to retain lug nuts from rotation in operating temperatures ranging from -40⁰F (-40⁰C ) to +122⁰F (+50⁰C).
I have looked at these type products but we have to remove them to do our scheduled torque checking then re-install them. This takes too much time and adds to the cost.
You are right, all those other products need to be removed. The good news is you can complete a nut torque check without removing Zafety Lug Lock®. An independent test study confirmed that re-torquing without removing Zafety Lug Lock® did not affect the performance of the product and had no effect on the physical quality.
Will this product stand up to exposure of the harsh operating environment of chemicals, diesel fuel, brake fluid and other fluids my equipment needs?
Zafety Lug Lock® is a high tech blend of polymers used in products that are constantly exposed to chemicals commonly found in Road salt, Liquid calcium chloride, Hydraulic fluid, Transmission fluid, Windshield washer alcohols, Gasoline and Diesel fuel, Iron oxides, Radiator fluid, Locktite, Ethanol alcohol.
Looks like a great product but how easy are they to install and remove?
Zafety Lug Lock® can be installed or removed by hand or with a specially designed tool in a matter of minutes. We recommend they be at shop or room temperature for the easiest installation
Zafety Lug Lock® prevents wheel loss by using the resistance between two nuts to minimize their ability to rotate and loosen:
- Use on standard and hub piloted 10 stud wheels with 1-5/16 inch (33 mm) or 1.5 inch (38 mm) nuts on 3-1/2 inch stud centers
- Use on standard and hub piloted 10 stud wheels with 1-5/16 inch (33 mm) nuts on 4-1/8 inch stud centers
- Use on standard 8 stud van wheels with 7/8 inch (22 mm) and 1.0 inch (25 mm) nuts on 2-1/2 inch stud centers
- Use on standard 10 stud van wheels with 13/16 inch (21mm) nuts on 2-3/4 inch stud centers and on 6 stud wheels with 1.5 inch (38mm) nuts on 4-3/8 inch stud centers.
- Flexible, easy to install - fits over two adjacent nuts and is reusable on replacement wheels
- Provides a clear visual check of lug nut security
- Reduces need for replacement lug nuts and reduces expensive wheel damage
- High temperature formulation for severe stop and go braking (450⁰F / 232⁰C)